Happy Birthday!

Friday, September 11, 2009

Last year my life changed forever. It was one of the most single important moments in my life and the greatest experience ever! Charlie and I saw my OB that afternoon and she said I looked great but no baby. I was unsure what to do. That day was my due date and I had already planned to be done with work. The OB said we could induce but wasn't sure how well it would go knowing I really didn't want a c-section. Charlie and I talked for a moment and decided that we wanted to try and have her so we checked into the hospital that night to get cervidil first. Cervidil is something that helps kinda ripen the uterus/cervix and hopefully makes everything just go smoother. I got all settled in that night and my parents came to visit and brought Charlie and I Subway. We watched Friends and all was well:) Once the nurses hooked me up to everything they said you are definitely having some contractions. I was like…uh yeah I can feel them all the time! They told me to get lots of rest and we would induce in the morning. Well turns out cervidil did its job WONDERFULLY! So wonderfully that I went into natural labor and didn't get induced at all. I spent the whole night dealing with the contractions till about 3am. I woke Charlie up and asked him to get the nurses as they were a little to intense and I didn't understand what was going on. (I was under the impression that all this was supposed to be happening the next day. I didn't realize I was in full on labor.) They told me I was dilated more and said they would start the process of getting me ready for an iv and an epidural. But in the mean time to take a hot shower to try and help relieve my stress/pain. So yes in mid labor we got up and took a shower. There was a chair in the shower and I managed to take one. It kinda helped I guess and did feel good to be clean. At that point we sat in my bed and Charlie helped me breath through all my contractions. It hurt but wasn't ridiculous and was probably the coolest thing ever. I know that sounds weird but I so wanted to experience it and I did! Charlie was right by my side and helped me all the way through. The nurse started my iv after 3 attempts:) I didn't really care, I was to busy with those darn contractions. I got my epidural around 7am and had Savannah Leigh on September 11, 2008 at 8:34am. (Sometimes I wonder if I could have done the whole thing without the epidural since I was so close…but then I think about he pushing her out of me part and how I felt none of that and think, mmm maybe I shouldn't chance that:)) She only took 2 pushes to get out and then she was here in all her glory weighing 6 lbs 15 oz and 18.5 inches.


All checked in and waiting for a baby!







First family photo!


The moments that make your life so worth it and special!

Charlie and I love her so much and she has brought nothing but joy to us! Today she turns 1 and I am so excited for her. I am not crazy emotional for some reason at how fast she is growing. I was emotional at times about her getting bigger, but that was more around the 6 month stage. While time does seem to pass so fast, I am just so happy to see her healthy, growing, and learning new things every day. We could not be more blessed with family and friends that love on Savi all the time. We are excited to have them all over tonight to celebrate this wonderful year of Savannah's life! Aunt Missy…we will miss you:) Pictures to come of her birthday party!

Post a Comment! 17 comments »

17 comments

  1. Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's // September 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

    I am impressed Mamma! Giving birth scares me!!! Happy Birthday to your little one!

  2. Courtney // September 11, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

    I hope you guys have a wonderful time celebrating her 1st birthday. How special!

  3. Kari // September 11, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

    What a special post and what a special day for all of you! And, if you went that far without the epidural, you could have done it all the way. I did my second (back in Feb) completely drug free at a midwifery and yes there was pain, but it was absolutely doable!
    Beautiful girl and LOVE the name.

  4. Amy // September 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

    Happy birthday, Savannah!

    I don't think you are weird... I enjoyed my contractions with Meleah, too. It was incredible feeling her coming into this world.

    Savannah is a doll, and I can't wait to see all of the first birthday pictures!!!

  5. Shermanators // September 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

    What a beautiful story...it brought tears to my eyes! Enjoy the party tonight! :)

  6. Brittany..Following my Bliss // September 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

    Happy 1st Birthday Savannah!

    Enjoy her party!

  7. Charity // September 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

    Happy 1st birthday Savannah!! I hope you have a wonderful fun filled and blessed day!!

  8. Heather // September 11, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

    Happy birthday Savi!!! I love her birth story and pics! Pretty baby AND momma!! Have a great day!!!!!!!

  9. Meredith // September 11, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

    Happy Happy Birthday Savi!! I hope y'all have a wonderful evening celebrating!!

  10. Unknown // September 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

    Happy Birthday Savannah!!

    Brittany~ I love this post. i'm in tears. i really wish we would have been able to capture some of the first few pics of Bryson after the delivery, but with the whole him being early we didn't get a chance.

    and i am so proud of you with the whole contraction thing. i couldn't last 5 minutes and i was screaming for my epidural:)

  11. Jenna // September 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM  

    Happy Birthday, Savannah!! I wish you the best 1st birthday ever!
    I enjoyed my labor too. I had an epidural because of the fast that I wanted to enjoy it! I didn't know what to expect and I'm sure glad I took it! I loved every minute ot it! 10 minutes after I delivered Gavin I looked at David and said, "I could do this again right now" haha maybe not!! Enjoy her day! Their 1st birthday is so sweet!

  12. Mrs. M // September 11, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

    So wonderful!! Happy Birthday Savannah!!

  13. Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too // September 11, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

    Happy 1st Birthday, Savi!!! She's adorable!

  14. ♥ sarah // September 12, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

    aw those pics are so sweet! congrats on your beautiful little girl. i'm with kelsey, i'm horrified of giving birth!

  15. Megan // September 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

    I love a birth story! My mom and I have a tradition where she calls me in the morning and tells me my "birth story" every year. When I try to retell the story to other people it always seems so uneventful, but to us, it's really special. I bet Savannah will love reading about her birth story years from now!

    And I love her nickname, Savi! She's a doll.

  16. Danielle Bridgers Banks // September 12, 2009 at 9:31 PM  

    Happy 1st Birthday!!!

  17. Nikki Cogg // September 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

    Happy birthday to little Savi!! What a great story, can't wait to see some birthday pics :) I haven't had any children yet but I was SO relieved when you said you enjoyed your contractions. The actual labor process scares me to death, so hearing that it's not so bad makes me even more excited!

Followers