10 days to go!

Monday, September 01, 2008

We have our induction date for Sept. 11th! Not the greatest day, but that day is the best for all our families to be together for the birth of our baby. I am so excited. I'll be honest though, the past 2 weeks have been worse than waiting for Christmas. Time is dragging by SO slowly! Brittany is starting to feel more pre-labor pains in her back. I don't think anything is too imminent though, because I think the powers that be want the baby to come next week sometime. Just a hunch.

I've been reading alot on the care of newborn babies over the last couple of weeks, and when combined with what I already know from working in an NICU, I feel very confident that I can tackle whatever situation presents itself. Sure, saying is much easier than doing, but I think if you go into something with confidence, you have a much better chance for success. I've done my research on breast feeding, sleeping patterns and habits, skin conditions, care for mommy after birth, baby clothing, car seats, etc. We received some pretty great books from Dr. Burgess (a neonatologist at my work) that I have been reading. They have been extremely informative, and of the three he gave us, I have already finished one. They are all from the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics). Great books...very good resources.

Forgive the random subjects, but so many things are going through my mind the closer we get to seeing Savannah. That said, there is one word that keeps getting to me. Dad. I am going ot be a dad. Savannah will be running to me, calling me daddy. I will hold her when she's crying. She will make father's day cards with her scribbly writing. D A D in all capital letters. I can't wait to be a dad, but that word to me has always been associated with MY father. It is so strange that now it will be applied to me as well. My baby girl will be calling me dad. I cannot put into words how much that will melt my heart the first time she says "dada". I love my daughter so much already, and she is not even here! What will it be like when I am holding her for the first time and look into her face? It will be one of the most incredible feelings in my life. I just cannot wait!

Switching subjects again here. I think that my biggest challenge in husbandhood is rapidly approaching. Pregnancy has not been too difficult for me (I'm ducking as Brittany swings a pregnancy punch at me), because Brittany has been really great for the last 9 months. Not many mood swings, and not complaining at all. She's handled it all wonderfully. She definitely breaks the stereotype of a moody pregnant woman! So I guess we both have been lucky with each other! But my challenge will be taking care of my wife AND my new daughter together. For the next 6 weeks, for sure, it will be about the most important 2 girls in my life! (Well, Mom, you're very important too, but until you're living with us and wearing old people diapers, I can't take care of you just yet!) I am going to try so hard to make sure Brittany has every comfort as she stays home on her maternity leave. And I know we both will give Savannah all the love, kissing, and cuddling she could ever want.

I'm hoping this is the last post until after the baby is born, but we have one more OB visit to go, so there may be one more quick update on Thursday or Friday! Say a prayer for Brittany and Savannah, and that they both have a safe and healthy birth!

Post a Comment! 2 comments »

2 comments

  1. Anonymous // September 2, 2008 at 8:37 AM  

    okay,no more tear jerker
    posts. No really, I enjoy
    all your comments and thoughts
    and can't wait for you both to
    become parents. It will even
    be more than what you think, if
    that's possible...and I won't be
    wearing diapers any time soon!
    Love, Mom

  2. Jenny // September 2, 2008 at 8:10 PM  

    Hi Charlie and Brittany---

    Great to find your blog! I've been blogging for about four years and love it!

    Congrats on Baby Savannah coming into your world so soon. I love every minute (even the frustrating exhausting ones!) of being a parent. Our little girl turns three next month and I'm amazed at how fast it has gone by. She is now talking up a storm in complete sentences! My baby is a big girl now.

    Can't wait to meet Savannah and have a visit. I hope all goes smoothly for you in the upcoming days and weeks of having a newborn.

    Lots of love,
    Jenny

Followers